Feeling Stressed, Tired or Irritable? A Herbal Miracle May Just Help!
Winter getting you down? A herbal tonic called Rhodiola rosea is a natural pick-me-up to help you cope with feeling overwhelmed, exhausted and down.
Rhodiola has been used for hundreds of years in many different cultures for its anti-stress, anti-fatigue and antidepressant properties.
A 2016 review of the scientific studies on Rhodiola found evidence to support its use with people who have:
• stress induced depression
• depressive disorders.
How does it do that?
Rhodiola has been found to produce a variety of mediator interactions with neuroendocrine-immune and neurotransmitter receptor systems likely to be involved in the cause of depression.
Show me the Science
The Study Details:
• 146 people with diagnosed major depressive disorder in 2 randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials.
• 714 people with diagnosed stress induced mild depression (diagnosed as asthenic syndrome or psychoneurosis) from 7 open-label studies.
Is it safe?
- Never come off medication or change your dose without your doctor or psychologist’s approval as a blog post cannot constitute medical advice for your own set of individual circumstances.
- The scientists in the study found Rhodiola was well-tolerated with a favourable safety profile.
- As a trained herbalist I do however caution if you are trying to fall pregnant, are currently pregnant, or lactating unless you are under the care of a trained herbalist you are best not to use Rhodiola. I also caution my caffeine loving clients that Rhodiola in combination with caffeine may cause unpleasant side effects.
NB: Never come off medication or change your dose or without your doctor or psychologist’s approval as a blog post cannot constitute medical advice for your own set of individual circumstances.